Located on the Southeast coast of the island of O'ahu, Honolulu is the capital of, and most populous city in the state of Hawaii. As of 2004, the city's population was estimated at 377,260. The combined city and county of Honolulu, which basically the entire island of O'ahu, has an estimated population of approximately 900,000.
Attractions in Honolulu include:
- Honolulu Zoo
Here is some more information about the area:
- Leading education institutions in Honolulu include Hawaii Pacific University ("HPU") and University of Hawaii Manoa ("UH"). Hawaii Pacific University ("HPU") is a private coeducational university. University of Hawaii Manoa ("UH") is a public, co-educational college and university.
- The principal airport serving Honolulu is Honolulu International Airport.
- Honolulu means "sheltered bay" or "place of shelter" in the Hawaiian language.
- Waikiki is the world famous tourist district of Honolulu. The area is home to many hotels, shops as wll as excellent nightlife, and the world famous Waikiki Beach.
- The Ala Moana Center in Waikiki was once the largest shopping center in the United States, and remains the the largest open-air shopping center in the entire world. The center, which is visited by more than 56 million people each year, houses more than 260 shops and restaurants, including boutique stores of leading international fashion designers. Additionally, there is an international food court, as well as the Ala Moana Centerstage, which is amphitheater used for Hula dances, the Royal Hawaiian Band (the oldest municipal band in the country), school events, and the local TV show Hawaii Stars (a singing competition, somewhat similar to American Idol).
Hawaii Travel. In a word or two It will be a fun time when I make my trip out to Hawaii for a vacation. Hawaii can be thought of as a destination but I tend to think of it as a fantasy dream. For years I have been seeing commercials and print about the beautiful islands. But what could I do with no money? not much. Well I finally saved up enough money to make my Hawaii travel a real Hawaiian vacation and I will be traveling first class. What a way to start a vacation, flying first class in a double-hulled 757. I think I will be able to wear my high heels considering how much leg room is available in first class. What to do? Where to visit? What sites to see? What activities to participate? These are all apart of the complicated decisions that stress a newbie traveler such as myself.
The Hawaiian Islands boast over 100 islands that provide the tourist with sports, relaxation options, and a new outlook on life. So, a Hawaii cruise vacation can be considered to be a dream cruise where you will be pampered from dawn to dusk with the hospitability of the Hawaiian people. With its tropical latitude, the Hawaii cruise vacation tends to take you to a heavenly state. The eastern part of Hawaii has more of rainfall, while the western part is more of a dry land. However, there is snow in some areas of the Big Island where the localities love skiing and snowboarding.